Saturday, January 31, 2015

Report: Is Nature Deficit Disorder Real?



Reading an article on the page NaturalNews.com...I really liked one in particular. It really got me thinking...mainly about the many, many ways in which we could incorporate the outdoors more in our daily lives. For example...I think back to how much I liked having classes outdoors when I was young AND as a counselor and substitute teacher--the kids always loved it too. 
You would think that with having your classes outdoors, there would be a lot of uncontrollable distractions. True...but there can be just as many distractions inside...especially to a kid (or adult) with so-called "ADD/ADHD tendencies". 
To be honest, whenever I had or held classes outdoors, it always seemed that concentration was actually at a much higher level overall; it becomes a lot easier, and more relaxing, with less anxiety and basically just more comfortable period. Provided it is not too hot or cold...or everyone is dressed accordingly...it should truly be better really.
As a matter of fact...I am writing this now with the window wide open and the fan on...even though it is cold out...I like to feel as though I am outdoors! And now that I really think about it...I remember how I used to love wring my history essays at the park in the pavilions, in undergrad back in the day too! It was always the only way I write my best...or at least it felt that way, which is essential in writing if you ask me!
               -R.C. Griffin Jr. 

Anyway, here's the article...
We need to connect with nature more than escape from urban madness. Find ways to connect with and appreciate nature more for a greater sense of well being.


Nature deficit disorder can cause cognitive, behavioral and health issues - here's the cure
WWW.NATURALNEWS.COM

No comments: